To kick off our interview series for next week’s Luscious Cabaret, we’ve got a special weekend treat for you: first up is none other but the fabulous Paulus, whom you may have already caught performing solo or as part of Nasty Blouse at previous Luscious Cabarets. This time around we are excited to welcome Paulus as our guest host, for one night only! So without further ado…
1. Tell us a bit about why you decided to start performing.
Community service. Crimes against theatre. I’ve got 137 hours left.
2. Do you remember your first time on stage? How did that go?
I was seven and I had adapted a short book for the stage. I made my two best friends and one of their little brothers be in it and I directed and starred, obvs. Littlebourne Village Fete did not know what had hit them.
3. Any memorable audience members that you’ve encountered throughout your career?
No. Not a one. I barely know there’s anybody else in the building.
4. We’ve all had those days when we feel like doing nothing. What motivates you to be productive on a daily basis?
Cheese, mostly. That, and the knowledge that a sedentary lifestyle in this digital age will surely put you in an early grave quicker than a box-set marathon of How I Met Your Mother, and I don’t want that. Unless the coffin is made of cheese. In which case, I do. Mmmm – Camembert Coffin…
5. What do you think is people’s first impression of you?
Who is that stunning creature and how can I be their BFF.
6. What is your biggest asset and your biggest flaw as a performer?
The answer is the same for both; I give too much. It oozes out of me. Or that might just be the smell of Brie…
7. Tell us how you’d spend an ideal day off.
Drinking tea and pruning the climbing roses in my garden, with occasional guest appearances from my cat, Harley (pictured)
8. Favourite drink?
PG Tips Tea until 5pm (semi skimmed, no sugar or even stirred with a spoon that has been anywhere near sugar and in a Denby mug. That last part is non-negotiable). After 5pm, I’ll drink Meths from a jam jar, babes.
You can catch Paulus (no guarantees on Harley) at Luscious Cabaret on April 7th at the Albany! xx