With just one day to go until Luscious Cabaret returns on Friday, November 4th, we thought it was about time to introduce you to a very Luscious lady indeed – the incredibly talented Vesper Fontaine! We dare you to resist being enchanted by this sultry siren tomorrow night…
1. What’s the ideal way for you to start your day?
Coffee. Preferably brought to me in a comfortable bed by someone impossibly handsome, and knowing I have nothing to do.
2. How do you come up with a new act or routine? What does that creative process look like?
It almost always starts with either a costume idea or a piece of music and builds from there. They spark my imagination, give me ideas for stories. For me, cabaret has to have some kind of story or make some sense, there has to be a progression to an act, otherwise it falls a bit flat.
3. Where – or for whom – would you most like to perform one day?
I would love to do some of the world’s prestigious venues, but most of all, I want to be stood in a clam shell in a fantastic dress, fronting a big band in a night club in 1948.
4. Favourite guilty pleasure?
I have a few too many to list here.
5. Tell us about the most embarrassing moment that you’ve had while performing.
I was doing a Christmas show and instead of a burlesque act, I was just singing some Christmas jazz. It wasn’t the sort of dress you can get a bra under and as it was staying on, I had no pasties on either. Unfortunately, one shoulder strap decided it would much rather be doing a burlesque routine, and mid song it fell completely off my shoulder, taking with it the front of my dress exposing my entire right breast to the audience. I was told my reflexes were like lightning pulling it back up, but I was having terrible trouble keeping from giggling for the rest of the song. To be fair it wasn’t just me, there were at least two other unintentional nip slips; I think that show was cursed.
6. Do you have any hidden talents?
7. What would you be doing with your life if you weren’t performing?
Probably making jewellery, costume pieces and accessories for other performers. I love beads and sparkly things, and you get tremendous satisfaction when you see someone wearing something you made.
8. Give us a teaser for what we can expect from you at Luscious Cabaret…